Friday, March 16, 2018

Conversions

I often ask myself what happened to the idea many years ago when the United States was going to give up their measurement system and go metric and fall in line with the majority of the world. Using a number system based on 10s seemed very practical.  I did not think about that until 2012 when my wife and I decided to walk the Camino de Santiago in Northern Spain.  Being based in Spain - a country where they use  the metric system caused me never ending concerns when trying to figure out how far to walk - where our final destination would be for  the day - the distance between two points.  I am so use to estimating a half mile or one mile - but try to do the same in kilometers or meters and I become very frustrated.  Even now when I bike I try to follow the metric system - with real difficulty.  I do know that 10 miles is equal to 16 kilometers - but to envision a goal one kilometer away - my eyes just can't do it.  Had we converted to the metric system back when I was in junior high school - it would obviously be second nature by now. 

Many conversions are very difficult for most Americans.  Converting miles - pounds - temperature - the three most common.  The easiest conversion I know - is that of Faith.  Coming to believe in God - His Son - Jesus - the Holy Spirit - a much easier task.  There are no numbers involved - no equation to memorize.  When one meets Jesus - his heart is touched by the hand of God - it becomes a new creation - soft - loving - accepting.  When a person experiences the Love of God - the Forgiveness - things happen - often quickly.  In seconds - hearts - minds are converted.  This Lent - God calls you to a conversion - to become a new person - to start freshly - to re imagine your life.  He waits patiently for you no numbers needed.

Deacon Dale