Monday, June 17, 2013

Pond Skimmer

Last summer I redesigned my fish pond - tore it down to the dirt - rebuilt it from the ground up. One of the new features - in addition to a much bigger waterfall - the skimmer.  The skimmer is a device that draws pond water into a holding area where dirt and debris are filtered out of the water before the water is pumped back into the pond. I also have an oak tree by the pond.  This spring the oak tree dropped tons of flowers - called catkins - onto the ground and into the pond. These catkinds can create a mess and in the pond they did exactly that.  My skimmer has been working overtime just to filter all  those particles and tiny stems out of the water.  The fish do not seem to mind - but I do.  All these dropping end up on the filter inside the skimmer and guess who gets to clean the filter - me.  Last summer- after I installed the skimmer - I had to clean the filter two or three times until the winter - when I cleaned it once.  Now this year - so far - I have cleaned it a dozen times or so - sometimes as often as every three days. If I am diligent and keep up with this task - the fish will be able to live in a clean pond.

Pond Skimmer

When Catholics go to confession in the Rite of Reconciliation with their priest - the priest acts in a similar way as the skimmer. Through prayerful discussion - the "dirt" clouding a person's life is removed and handed over to Jesus - who deals with it.  After reconciliation - the penitent is returned back into the mainstream of life - purified - cleansed.  Jesus is there waiting for all of us - to realize that He can and will cope with any issue that dirties the waters of our lives.  It only takes a few minutes - for miracles to happen - for loads to be lifted - sins removed - healing begun.  If you are wading in murky waters - if your life is not as pure as you would like - seek Jesus - the ultimate healer of hearts and souls.

Deacon Dale