Monday, January 30, 2023

The Credo

In studies of Faith -  we often hear or read of "The Credo" - what is this?

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary "Credo comes straight from the Latin word meaning "I believe", and is the first word of many religious credos, or creeds, such as the Apostles' Creed and the Nicene Creed. But the word can be applied to any guiding principle or set of principles. Of course, you may choose a different credo when you're 52 than when you're 19. But here is the credo of the writer H. L. Mencken, written after he had lived quite a few years: "I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that it is better to know than to be ignorant".  

In the Catholic Church during the celebration of Holy Mass - around the world - in many languages - participants all speak the same Credo during the service - repeating the Credo - I Believe.  In worship this is an assumed statement of faith spoken by all - priests - deacons - laity.  The original Nicene Creed stated "We Believe" more recently modified to say "I Believe" - I spoken by the individual - in community - as a group - We Believe.


In the practice of Christian faith - so very important that all proclaim I Believe.  I believe in God - the Father - the Son - the Holy Spirit.   One God - three personalities - One undivided Divine Person.  In this belief - all else in the practice of Christianly - flows. 

Deacon Dale