Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Give It Up!

One of the biggest focuses during Lent - by clergy - parishioners - bystanders - giving up things for Lent.  There are numerous thoughts on these sacrificial actions - the value of what was given up - the reasons behind them.  I remember one youngster - years ago - very proudly telling me they had given up watching their favorite television show - not television itself - just one particular show - replaced it with another show.  To them - a sacrifice - to many - no sacrifice at all - just an altered habit.  For adults - similar to a smoker who quits during Lent - not intending to quit permanently - resuming that habit once Lent ends.  For myself - nothing material given up - rather - make a point to focus my free time - on others needs - increasing prayer time - spiritual writing - thus the increase in blog posts.  Spending additional time on this blog - very helpful for me to focus my thoughts - say more prayers for guidance - benefits me - those who read my posts.  One of the most important things in my life - my personal time - how I spend it - alone - with others - what I do - what I don't do.

When Jesus walked in the desert - as we walk alongside Him this Lent - lots of time to consider the important - compared to the non important.  It is important for us to know why we sacrifice - give up things - especially in Lent.  When we give up one thing - it is usually to make room for something else - more important.  Denying one self - food - smokes - time - creates an opportunity for other things - prayer - meditation - worship - connecting with the Divine. As we journey closer to Jesus during this Lenten experience - take time to seriously consider what you have given up - will give up - what will be gained in return.

Deacon Dale