Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sir Knight

This past Saturday I spent the majority of the day with 300+ Catholic gentlemen who participated in presentations on the history of the USA and the fine men and women who have served this country in the various armed forces.  The presentations reminded me of my father-in-law who served this country as a Navy Seabee and my younger brother who gave four years to our country also serving in the Navy.  I remember my brother's stories of carrying documents to the White House and being called by his first name by the President.  I am proud of them both.


The crowning point of the day was the Knighting ceremony in which 190 Catholic gentlemen were Knighted as 4th degree members of the Knights of Columbus.  I had the privilege of sitting next to an 89 year old gentlemen who was not only knighted but also honored for serving in WWII.  I feel privileged to have been able to assist him in the vesting ceremony and shaking his hand upon being knighted.  I am humbled that I was able to share this experience with him and my brother Knights.


The loyalty shown by all the men, women, priests and deacons gathered at the evening Mass and following banquet to the USA and the Holy Roman Catholic Church left me with a memory that I will never forget.  I am proud to call these men brothers!


Deacon Dale