Friday, March 7, 2014

A Lenten Camino

It has been five months since my wife and I walked approximately 400 miles of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela in Spain. While walking that Camino - we spent hours upon hours in prayer - for our Bishop - our diocese and its ministries - for our parish - our priests - many others' special requests - for ourselves. It was easy to do - no cell phones - no television - no distractions - just lots of quiet time to steep ourselves in prayer. As we begin our annual Lenten observance - I invite you to journey with me on a special Lenten Camino. Over the next 40 days - I will be praying and posting - reflecting on various topics - offering thoughts on multiple aspects of Camino - journey - pilgrimage.  As I begin - I wish to focus on a special Lenten presentation offered by my friend Tajci - Tatiana Cameron - whom I met a few years ago when she presented her Lenten program - I Thirst.  It was a powerful presentation and an excellent way to observe Lent. As you journey with me on this Lenten Camino - my prayer is that you will find yourself thirsting for more and more of all that Jesus offers each of us.


During Lent we are called to empty ourselves - to fast - to open ourselves to whatever God has in store for us. Jesus calls us to thirst - for Him - His Spirit - God's presence in our lives. We need to become empty - dry - hungering and thirsting for God - in our prayers - thoughts - deeds. We need to begin focusing on others - the invisible - the cast aways - the less fortunate - those whom society ignores. We need to actively look - to seek these souls out - to thirst for the blessings due them by God. By practicing random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty. - we hope to satisfy our thirst - for a world that is right and just - for a world where people care for each other - for a world where all are healed and whole.

Deacon Dale